Monday, October 25, 2010

The Moment I Knew I Was an American...

     Because I was born in Mexico I would never have thought I would feel and be as American as I am today. America is what defines so many of my characteristics. But I can never forget were my past is, because this past is what makes me who I am and helps shape the person that I will become. The American way of life is all I have ever known since I was five years old. So you can imagine how easy it is for me to feel American.


    I would say that a moment in which I truly felt like an American would be when I actually read my first English book all by myself when I was in 1st or 2nd grade. The language is such an important part of culture that speaking, reading, writing it makes you feel more of a part of that culture.


    Another moment in which I felt like an American was when I became eager to embrace this other culture, to be part of this huge melting pot that defines the United States. Being able to understand how different cultures interact and how as long as you respect other’s views they will most likely respect yours.


   Part of being an American is being proud of this country and what it has to offer. I always enjoy taking trips and seeing this country’s beautiful sights, from the huge cityscapes to the vast forest/mountainous landscapes. I remember when going to Wisconsin Dells was like the best thing that ever happened.


   I really think that most people would feel American by their first few Thanksgivings. Thanksgiving is a very American holiday. The beginning stages of American history are in this holiday. Even though this part of history is not exactly all sugary and nice it doesn’t change the fact that America is here because of those first people.


    As long as you are ready to embrace this way of life and what it has to offer, you will feel like an American. You may have been born all the way across the world and still feel like an American. Remembering your roots and understanding were your future might be is part of being an American. Being able to keep your original identity and adding new traits to it is being an American.



4 comments:

  1. I find it very interesting that you were born in Mexico then came to America. I also completely agree with you in saying that being an American is embracing the life that this country has offered. Some "Americans" take what we have for granted and forget the great opportunities that we have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great that you have accepted both the American and Mexican parts of you, without losing one or the other (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you. Now that I think about it Thanksgiving should be celebrated by everyone. Now it symbolizes how we should all be thankful for the opportunities and freedom that this country gives us. The acceptance and respect it has for our beliefs and traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well even though i wasn't born in Mexico,I still embrace both my Mexican and American sides. i wouldnt say I'm "more" one than the other. I mean you dont technically have to be born in the U.S to be considered American. So yeahh, I agree when you say that being an American also deals with being able to embrace the culture and language. (:

    ReplyDelete