Thursday, November 18, 2010

ADVENTURE PLOW!


I was an adventure plow. What is an adventure plow, you ask? Well an adventure plow is one that has traveled all around the world and through out time. One that has been broken and fixed so many times I have lost count of exactly how many.
The earliest memory was when I was one of a kind. Freshly made and out of the farmers workshop. This was in Egypt long ago. I lived in luxury and I was made of gold. The fields that I plowed where rich and fresh, all courtesy of the beautiful Nile.
Years later, I went to a beautiful place called Italy. My life was not as luxuries but I was happy with the family I was staying with. They were very hard working people. A very united family. Very caring and polite.
"Buon Giorno"
"Scusa"
"Grazie"
"Prego"
"Come Stai?"
"Buona Notte"
I enjoyed the work. The earth had a completely different smell from what I was used to. But it was a welcomed difference. During rainy days I would lean on the farm's wall and let the water wash away a day's worth of hard work. The drip-drip-drip of the rain, a pleasing lullaby. 
Next thing I knew I was drifting away on river and into the big unknown sea. 
There I was letting the waves guide me to an unknown place. What I did not expect was that to a monster of the sea I looked like a delicious fish and I was bitten by it. It was all too fast and i had lost one of the most important parts. I thought that was the end of my life. Just after I had accepted the fact that I might not make it any longer, the roar of the waves reached me and i felt myself being delivered onto the shore. I WAS SAFE! I WAS ALIVE! All I had to do was wait, and waited.
In this place I was fixed up and put right to work. The soil wasn't the best to work with. Too many pebbles that felt like a million pins being stuck on me. I was getting old. I couldn't take it anymore. All the abuse was just too much. 
I was given the opportunity to go to a land were they said there might still be hope for me. I decided to go. It was exactly what they said it would be. The farmer's family was just as kind as the one I worked with in Italy. I was happy here, but then there was talk a new, easier to use tool that did the same job I did. I was not expecting this to be true and did not pay much attention to these rumors. But all those rumors were true the new and improved plow received lots of fanfare. I was thrown onto a very dusty ignored corner in the barn.
So here I still am. Covered in dust all that kept me company was the small bugs and mice that felt curious and wanted to see who that sad old plow was.
Over time, I don't know how much time it was, the farm grew quiet. Until the silence was finally broken by a strange sound and some footsteps. That's when the door flew open, a burst of light and wind burst in, and in stepped a man. He had the weirdest clothes on, nothing like the farmer used to wear.
Time and the way of human life had changed quite a lot. When I was brought out into the world once more, there were buildings so high they seemed to touch the clouds.
They took me to a beautifully sculpted building were I was placed in a room that resembled my old Egyptian home. I WAS HOME! So much joy filled me then. People come to see me and hear my story and there is never lack of people who wish to know where this old, adventure plow has been.

2 comments:

  1. This is definitely the most moving, beautiful piece of work I've read in a while. Especially combined with the "passion music", it's perfect! If you are this metaphorical plow, where are you now, adventure plow? :)

    ReplyDelete