Thursday, December 2, 2010

Frozen ( Winter Poem )


There is a land
Where the mountains are high
And the sea is vast.
The trees naked,
Except for the cold, sparkling blanket that envelops them.

I ride there sometimes.
The sound of the horse,
Like far away thunder,
galloping somewhere familiar yet so changed.

It's there to escape to.
But this time they follow me
Blending into the white,
like shadows of old nightmares. 
They dance around a beating heart
Wind carrying their whispers through my hair.
Whispers of death that are hard to bear.

Closer to the edge they guide me
The gray sky weeps icy tears.
It knows that I'll fall,
That there will be no one to catch me,
And that I'll never rise again.

Into the black we all plunge.
Darkness taking over.
When I return with them
It always to that land.

That land with the high mountains,
The vast sea,
And the naked trees
that sit by the inky, frozen river.
My spirit joins the others.
 The dead, black river lends it’s reflective surface to our souls.
Sometimes what we see, is not what we wanted to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment